This historic building, originally called the Academy of Music, opened in 1885 and entertained Meadville residents with theater and vaudeville performances (and later movies) until a fire closed the building in the mid-1980s. At the time of the renovation, the original wooden gridiron and rigging were intact. Gene Leitermann, while at Systems Design Associates, worked closely with the structural engineer to design new structural steel elements to support a new rigging system meeting current standards. The new roof steel, gridiron, and galleries were independently supported by new steel columns inserted within the existing masonry shell. The theater reopened in 1992 and once again offers a variety of live entertainment to the Meadville community.
Academy Theatre Foundation
Craig Morrison Architect
Locally produced theater and musical theater
470-seat multipurpose theater
Photo: © Academy Theatre